Hi everyone! It’s been awhile since we updated, so here’s a quick word on what’s happening around here…
Tomorrow marks Day 30 of our wait for our Letter of Acceptance from China. The average wait right now is about 42 days so we expect to receive our letter in 2 weeks or less! Wow! Unlike last time, it feels like time is passing quickly this time. Our days are just very busy and full and for that I am grateful because it makes it a little easier when we already miss our girl and are so eager to hold her and get her home. But it also means that we have some paperwork to prep – Gabi’s Visa prep, our final US immigration paperwork, and a POA document that allows one parent to complete the adoption in China even if the other parent can’t be there for some unknown last minute emergency (this has actually happened to some families in the past so it’s always best to be prepared) and that document has to be processed like our other dossier documents – notary, state certify, consulate authenticate.
It also means that when that document comes in we are just about 2 months from travel – YAY!!!
We got a brief update on Emily earlier this week giving us her current measurements, feeding & nap schedule, number of teeth, etc. It’s unclear at this point whether she’s returned to her child institution or if she’s still in the care home where she’s been since her surgery in December. Our agency is trying to get confirmation of this. I will be honest…I am struggling with this right now. I can’t describe what it feels like to not know where your child is. Even if you know that either option is an okay one, it’s not a good feeling. In this update they shared that her foot is still in a brace of some kind pretty much 24/7. That was surprising, but we are optimistic it’s just them doing the best they can with what they know to help her walk. But, as her Mommy and Daddy it’s hard to be here not knowing if she’s truly okay. It’s been really different this time around – with James we knew where he was and we knew it was not a well resourced or very pleasant place to be. But we knew where he was and that he was medically fine other than his limb difference. This time, we have a child waiting for us that is in a better environment, but has more medical needs and we are feeling a different kind of anticipation. We also know all that lies ahead in terms of the final preparations. It’s a lot of paperwork and prep to leave the country for that long, and to make sure the children you leave behind have everything they need, and that you’ve setup as much as possible for when you return…yea – could there be a fairy that comes and does all that for me? 🙂 I’d like to just pick up an already packed suitcase, get on the plane, and sleep all the way to China – haha.
Of course, the other big component of this is the financial side. Believe it or not, we’re only about halfway through all of our fees and bills so far. The travel costs and the orphanage “donation” are a huge part of the costs, so we’re getting ready to launch our final fundraisers and also researching loan options. We’re also working on the final big ticket items we need to purchase to be ready for our new little toddler – stroller and video monitor – and the smaller items like bibs, toys, crib sheets, and sippy cups.
On a different and much more exciting note, our friends who are in process to adopt Ping Ping are finally DTC! After so many delays from government offices, their paperwork officially went to China yesterday! We are hoping that she and James will be reunited in August!
That’s all for now – stay tuned for the next post announcing the launch of Gabi’s fundraiser for her trip to China to meet Emily!